Scarlet Letter Bible
The Scarlet Letter Bible is so named because it’s likely to be just a little scandalous to the folks who think Jesus really said everything verbatim in the Red Letter editions commonly found in Christian bookstores. It’s two things:
- The scarlet part is part translation, part paraphrase, part imaginative interpretation. The aim here is to convey a provocative reading of the Bible’s intent that can be understood in current terms. It’s not about technical linguistic accuracy, more like impact accuracy.
- The black part is commentary. It’s meant to be edifying for people who read the Bible from the point of view of
- spiritual seekers,
- disaffected Christians and other Jesus followers for whom the traditional line no longer makes sense,
- pastors and all churchgoers in stuck churches who want to get their church unstuck,
- agnostics, atheists and secular humanists who are open to receiving wisdom from ancient texts,
- people of other faiths who are curious about the Bible and want to read it without being proselytized.
The Scarlet Letter Bible is written and published by Caspar Green, who holds an undergraduate degree in Physics, a Masters Degree in Biblical Studies, and who was a Pastor for 20 years before retiring. He lives in Jay, NY with his wife, Brooke and his son, Silas.
The Scarlet Letter Bible in both the rendering (in scarlet) of the Old and New Testament texts and the commentary are published here under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Photos, illustrations and other artwork are the property of their respective copyright holders, or have been used under the Creative Commons terms. I have tried to credit all work by other persons or parties where appropriate with citations and links, but have not always been able to determine original sources. If you are the owner or have information about unattributed work, or would like to have your work featured on this site, please contact us.
Links to books and/or other products on Amazon.com are affiliate links. Links to other sites are not. Links do not necessarily indicate my endorsement of the sites linked to, or their endorsement of Scarlet Letter Bible.
Your use of this site, and any services or products found here, is offered on an as is basis without any guarantee or warrantee of its fitness for use for any specific purpose. Email, financial, or other private personal information you may submit is not shared, sold, or otherwise distributed by Scarlet Letter Bible.