Some legalists and bureaucrats said, “Professor, we want you to give us a sign.”
Jesus answered, “This evil, treasonous generation wants a sign. But the only sign they’ll get is Jonah. Jonah was in the kraken’s stomach for three days and nights. Likewise, the chosen one will be buried in the ground for three days and nights. The heathens who believed Jonah will condemn this generation. They changed their ways but you’ve ignored an even more obvious indication.
Remember, Jonah is about deliverance. The insistence on needing a miracle, or some sign, that the time is right before taking action is where, most of the time, people go wrong. Jesus (and Jonah) are about deliverance. Now.
- “If only (fill in the blank) would happen, then I’d be able to do that thing I’ve always wanted to do.”
- “If only he/she would change, then I’d be happy.”
- “If only my boss would recognize my efforts, I’d get that promotion.”
- “If only I could move to New York city, I’d catch my big break.”
- “If only Jesus would come back and save me from (fill in whatever hardship you’ve got).”
They say timing is everything. But it’s not. How many times have you looked back (hindsight is 20/20) and said, “I could have…” or “I should have…” But you didn’t. Why? What were you waiting for? The signs were there. You just couldn’t read them. Or, if you did, you second-guessed yourself and didn’t do anything about it. Timing, as it turns out, is nothing. Signs are nothing.
Action is everything.
The time to change is now. Always now. It’s not what happens. Stuff happens all the time. It’s what you do. Not someday. Now.